Re: Privacy Act - Providing dose of record to other facilities

In a message dated 10/23/1999 8:29:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
sandyfl@earthlink.net writes:

<< Barbara, I agree that this is primarily a Privacy Act issue. However,
 the regulations do state that when an individual requires monitoring,
 that the facility have a signed statement from the individual
 validating the dose information. The individual has the right not to
 sign the statement, and therefore, the record is not made available.
 In that case, I am asking what the regulator's position would be if a
 hospital (let's say a nuclear medicine facility & a radiology
 department) has a document from me, or another commercial
 processor, stating the individuals working in each department, and
 cumulative dose for each worker, that derives from several other
 facilities. What would their statement be at that time? >>

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're referring to 10 CFR 20.2104.
This section requires, in part, that dose information be obtained for the
current year, and that once obtained from sources listed in 20.2104(c), the
information be recorded on a Form 4 (or equivalent), and signed by the
individual.  I guess, as a regulator, I would want to talk to the individual
and find out why they refused to sign the dose record...Maybe they believe it
does not record their true dose for some reason.

I have never actually run across this situation, so I would discuss this with
my management first, but off the top of my head, if the individual refuses to
validate the information on the Form 4 (or equivalent) as required in
20.2104(d), then I think the licensee would be forced into the alternative
route discussed in 20.2104(e) - i.e., reducing the available dose for the
year by 1.25 rem per quarter for each quarter for which the dose was
unavailable (or unvalidated).

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com