GM Efficiency problem solved

Fellow Radsurfers,

Upon further questioning (and better recollection by the RSO) the "thing that
couldn't be done"
was to convert a GM reading for the various isotopes into a dose rate. As you all
know, that cannot be done unless the GM tube is calibrated specifically for the
energy and type of radiation. Even then there are problems with beta emitters.

My apologies to the manufacturer (who contacted me separately) if it sounded like
they didn’t know their stuff. They certainly do. The RSO had confused several
different communications she had with different people on different issues.

I can only hope that this exchange had some value for someone, otherwise it was a
complete waste of everyone’s time.

Stephen Frantz
Reed College Reactor
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd.