Re: DNA breaks

>What are the references to data that demonstrate ionizing
>radiation causes DNA strand breaks?  Is this idea only an >hypothesis, or
>are there experimental data that conclusively >demonstrate the idea is
>true?

Here are a few DNA strand break references:
Ahnstrom G. Review of techniques for measuring DNA single-strand breaks.
Published around 1989 in Int. J. Radiat. Biol.
Cedervall B. et al., Methods for the quantification of DNA double-strand
breaks determined from the distribution of DNA fragment sizes measured by
pulsed field gel electrophoresis. Radiat. Res. Vol. 143, 1995:8-16. The
paper evaluates different mathematical approaches. For those interested –
please note that the most important figure (2c) was published in the October
issue (Vol. 144, p.122) – the publisher lost the figure for some reason – my
proof reading copy was OK so that was not the problem (there was no reason
to put it on an errata page - we didn't submit anything erroneous to them -
there is a new publisher now BTW).
Cedervall B and Radivoyevitch T., Methods for analysis of DNA fragment
distributions on pulsed field gel electrophoresis gels. Electrophoresis,
Vol. 17, 1996:1080-1086. This paper reviews several methods for breaks that
are approximately randomly distributed. We also included 3-4 new
mathematical methods. In a second paper (TR & BC, Mathematical analysis…,
Vol. 17, 1987-93) we also corrected some earlier equations for unbroken
chromosomes.
G. Iliakis, The role of DNA double-strand breaks in ionizing
radiation-induced killing of eukaryotic cells, BioEssays, Vol. 13,
1991:641-648. This paper is a nice and easy reading summarizing the
association between DSBs, chromosomal aberrations and cell killing.
Lange C.S., Cole A. and Ostashevsky J.Y., Radiation-Induced damage in
chromosomal DNA molecules: Deduction of chromosomal organization…, Adv.
Radiat. Biol., Vol. 17, 1993:261-421.
Lett J. T., Damage to DNA and chromatin structure from ionizing radiations,
and the radiosensitivity of mammalian cells. Progr. Nucleic Acid Res. Mol.
Biol., Vol. 32, 1990:305-352.
My thesis (ISBN 91-628-1688-8, 1995) on DSBs (lots of references) was sent
to many radiation biology departments etc worldwide – and may not have
decayed completely yet.
For molecular biology update and reviews on DSBs – some good information can
be found in Radiat. Res. 1998 (Supplement to the November issue). More
reviews have been published after that. If anyone is interested in recent
papers on DNA-PKcs, ATM etc I can come back to that.

The DNA breaks and their repair was discovered in the 1960:ies. Many
published - non-methodological papers deal with DNA DSBs & radiosensitivity
of mammalian cell lines or yeast. There is still a lot to do in the field of
specific chromosomal aberrations and its relation to the function of the
DNA-PKcs, RAD52 group, ATM related protein products. This includes analysis
of the DSB repair kinetics. A nice challenge regarding the order (zero,
first, second) of the repair kinetics was recently published in Radiat. Res.
- it is good that someone brought up this point since most workers seem to
assume first order reactions without questioning why. This topic is
important for those who wish to understand the molecular biology functions
from a mechanistic point. If the math is wrong the descriptions will never
become consistent between labs, cell lines, laboratory run conditions etc
and good data may seem more chaotic than necessary.