Request for Help: Atomic era contamination for south pacific above ground testing.

Hi All -

As I don't know much about nuclear fallout, I'm writing to see if there's
anyone that might be willing to consult with me about this...

I received a call from one of our collection planning librarians. She
stated that during the late 1950's, there were peace activists (names of
which I don't have at the moment) that sailed into the area at the time of
an above ground test in the South Pacific. Their notes, maps and equipment
that accompanied them on this boat were donated to the University. The
material has been sitting in a warehouse for while. So the information I
have is very limited. Now the University is wanting to resurrect this
material to develop a special collection, but questions about the material
and it's contamination levels have arisen.

I haven't had a chance to perform an GM survey of the material yet. But I
did have some questions:

1. If the material was contaminated in the late 1950s what isotopes would I
expect to find in the material.

2. Any one hear of activists being present at these events. I would of
assumed that the Navy would of cleared the area first. -right?

3. Anyone know of a good contact in the government or national labs that
deals with these issues.

If you can please either respond by private e-mail ksmith@cats.ucsc.edu or
call me at 831-459-3911 (I can call you right back to avoid long distance
charges).

I'll post the results of what I find - FYI

Thanks
Ken