AnatomicModeling E-mail Group

Hi, Radsafers,

I would like to make you aware of a newly formed email group called
AnatomicModeling.  This group is a result of the "International Workshop on
Anatomical Modeling" held 28-30 September, 1999 at Oak Ridge National
Laboratory by Dr. Keith Eckerman.  The original reason for the workshop had
to do with the so-called MIRD mathematical phantoms and the new "voxel
phantoms" based on medical images.   Among the ~30 attendees, some were
interested in radiation safety dosimetry (internal and external), while
others were interested in broad applications of the anatomical modeling.
The presentation that I made can be found at
http://www.rpi.edu/dept/radsafe/public_html/.  Please click on the
"Research Activities" button on the left of the page for a list of
presentations.

The e-mailing group for the attendees is now trying to bring more talents
into the discussions.  The next workshop will be hosted at GSF in Germany.

A tentative list of topics for the e-mail group reads something like:

:  we are a group of scientists, engineers and
clinicians who have an interest in, or who conduct research on

  * voxel- or equation-based (or hybrid) models of the human body
  * age dependent human models and general "structural warping"
techniques
  * modeling chemical/physiological inter-relationships between organs
(compartmental modeling)
  * tool development for manipulating body models
  * simulating radiation transport and/or energy dose deposition in
organs
  * simulation of surgical interventions
  * modeling/simulating extraordinary environments (outer-space,
automobile accidents, etc...)
* ICRP Reference Man, mathematical vs. voxel phantoms
* flucence-to-dose conversion factors, specific absorption fractions, eff.
dose equivalent, etc.

and the things that you will bring to the table...

To get on the AnatomicModel@noodle.med.yale.edu, you need to send an e-mail
to Dr. George Zubal from Yale Univ (George.Zubal@Yale.Edu).

In the meanwhile, I will be happy to answer any questions.  Thanks!

George Xu
X. George Xu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Institute Radiation Safety Officer
Nuclear Engineering and Engineering Physics Programs
Department of Environmental and Energy Engineering
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
NES Building, Tibbits Ave.
Troy, NY 12180

E-mail: xug2@rpi.edu