incorporation measurements

I sent the following question a long time ago, but did not receive any
answer. I think that there must quite a few out there, who face similar
problems. Therefore I send this message again. Hope for more success.

Dear RADSAFERs,

A few collegues of mine and me are working on a standard regarding control
of incorporation of persons working with open radioactive sources. This is
directed predominantly, but not only, to nuclear medicine.

Since we do not want to "invent the wheel again" I wonder whether
regulations or recommendations exist in other countries or from
international organisations regarding the maximum permissible
incorporation, the control methods and especially the control intervals and
frequencies for short-lived radionuclides. In this context especially
Tc-99m is of concern, but even the definition of "short-lived" may pose
some problems. F-18 and C-11 sure are short lived and most probably
incorporation of personnel can hardly checked, but do you regard tritium
with a biological half-life of about 10 days as shortlived? How about
Tl-201 etc.?

We regard screening methods like gamma-measurement of urine for Tc-99m as a
good method, but are there any protocols for estimating the intake or a
"worst case" intake, let's say at the end of a working day? Are such
calculations applied in practice and routine? Are the factors of transfer
from body to urine accurately enough known?

Any information and any hints, where to find more on this topic is welcome.
Please direct your answer to me, unless you think it of interest also for
other RADSAFERs.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria