Re: incorporation measurements

In a message dated 10/25/1999 4:44:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
schoenho@via.at writes:

<< Since we do not want to "invent the wheel again" I wonder whether
 regulations or recommendations exist in other countries or from
 international organisations regarding the maximum permissible
 incorporation, the control methods and especially the control intervals and
 frequencies for short-lived radionuclides. In this context especially
 Tc-99m is of concern, but even the definition of "short-lived" may pose
 some problems. F-18 and C-11 sure are short lived and most probably
 incorporation of personnel can hardly checked, but do you regard tritium
 with a biological half-life of about 10 days as shortlived? How about
 Tl-201 etc.?  >>

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but title 10 of the Code of Federal
Regulations, part 20, Appendix B does just this, I think.  It lists for each
nuclide, the Annual Limit of Intake (ALI), based on the biological models
described in ICRP 30.  The ALI for Tc-99m, for example is 200 mCi through
inhalation and 80 millicuries through ingestion.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com