Iodine Treatment

Yes it is true.  The NRC has modified it's regulations and does allow
patients to be discharged at long as the exposure to other people remains
below 500 mrem.  According to the reg guide, NUREG 1492, only external
exposures need to be considered.  If you use their formula, which doesn't
include an effective half life, assumes 1 meter distance, and an occupancy
factor of 1, then if it is determined other will receive less than 500 mrem,
you can kiss them and let them go.  If you want to use other factors in your
determination, then you must document your criteria -  but you can then kiss
them and let them go.

I have run several calculations using an effective half life of about 18-24
hours, and I've determined that you can let patients go with a lot more
activity than 100 mCi.  In fact if I remember right, even up to 350 mCi
patients can be discharged.

Personally, this policy doesn't make me feel too good.  I don't really know
why - if it's just that I'm used to keeping them inpatient - but letting
greater than 100 mCi of I-131 leave my facility makes me nervious.

These comments are mine and mine alone - they do not reflect on my employer!

		Louie L. Tonry
		LOUIE TONRY, CHP
		MAJOR, MS
		Chief, Radiation Protection Division

Eisenhower Army Medical Center
ATTN: MCHF-LOG-HP (Radiation Protection), Box 264
Ft. Gordon, Georgia 30905-5650

Voice:  					Facsimile:
DSN: 773-4692/6392 			DSN: 773-3427
Commercial: (706) 787-4692/6392	Commercial: (706) 787-3427

Internet: Louie.Tonry@SE.AMEDD.ARMY.MIL