Re: Medical "Misadministrations"

Yes, the video described below is quite useful. I made it the centerpiece
of an inservice for the nuc med techs, many years ago, at another
institution, as a part of our response to a "misadministration."

In re the quotation marks, please note that it is pretty difficult to
achieve a true misadministration, in the strict, regulatory, sense, with
diagnostic quantities of radiopharmaceuticals. Most TEDE's are <20 mSv
(2000 mrem), and max organ dose equivalents are, usually, <500 mSv (50
rem). E.g., the incident in Kansas (assuming that it was DTPA, injected @
25.8 mCi) resulted in a TEDE of 0.8 rem (not a "total body" dose of "0.75
rad"), and a max organ dose of 7.2 rad (urinary bladder wall). The gonadal
doses would have been: ovaries >/= 0.5 rad and/or testes >/= 0.35 rad.

I don't know what the rules are in Kansas, but, under NRC rules (when last
I knew them), the hospital described in the original posting went above and
beyond the call of duty, in reporting the misdosage. They should be
complimented for doing so, but I'm afraid that having it singled out on the
Internet, like that, just makes them look much worse than they probably
are. This is especially so, if it was truly, and only, the vendor's error.
I.e., if the hospital requested a dose of tetrofosmin, and the pharmacy
sent a dose of DTPA, marked as tet.

Finally, those of you in Agreement States may be able to borrow the video
from your local regulatory folks. The Washington Dept of Health lent me
theirs, lo those many years ago.

chris a.
alstonc@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu

P.S. "Myoview" is the tradename for tetrofosmin, which many people now use
instead of MIBI, for cardiac nuclear imaging.