Re: I-125 Prostate Therapy Regs.

I can't help but be curious about the implications of this and similar statements:

. . . patients having received interstitial I-125 or Pd-103 permanent seed implants are the
same as for radiopharmaceuticals (not to expose anyone to greater than 5
mSv).  Some hospitals request their patients strain their urine for seeds . . .

If these seeds are implanted interstitially, how are they getting to a place to be "passed"?  Is there any other location that these seeds might end up being deposited by a patient that might end up being more of a problem than a strainer or the sewer system?   Does this indicate migration away from the treatment site and exposure to others, and what does that say about the adequacy of treatment dose?

Sorry, but I'm just having trouble figuring this one out.

Zack Clayton
Ohio EPA - DERR
email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us
voice:  614-644-3066