Re: I-125 Prostate Therapy Regs.

	The restrictions concerning release from the hospital of patients having
received interstitial I-125 or Pd-103 permanent seed implants are the
same as for radiopharmaceuticals (not to expose anyone to greater than 5
mSv).  Some hospitals request their patients strain their urine for seeds
(for prostate implants) and return those which are found to the hospital,
but there are no NRC requirements for doing that.  Essentially, once the
radioactive source is no longer under the control of the licensee, there
is no reason for the patient to return any of that material to the
licensee.  In fact, technically I believe that to receive radioactive
material from an unauthorized provider (patient) is illegal.

Bob Scott
Roger Williams Medical Center
Providence, RI
bobscottchp@juno.com