Re: I-125 Prostate Therapy Regs.-Comparison of complications vs.Pd-103 seeds

In a message dated 10/29/99 10:23:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pmuldoon@mail.arc.nasa.gov writes:

<< Finally, as weeks go by and the cancer
 begins to shrink, the seeds are known to migrate.  As far as unwanted
exposure
 as the seeds migrate through the bladder, this is not much different than any
 other therapy as radiopharmaceuticals pass through the body and are
excreted. >>

While on the subject of I-125 use in Prostate cancer therapy there was a news
item today about a 7 year study which compares the use of Pd-103 seeds vs.
I-125seeds in cancer therapy which may be of interest to many Radsafe readers
both from both a professional and possible personal aspect. Since prostate
cancer is so common in males as they age, prostate cancer and its alternative
treatments will have to be evaluated by more individuals for themselves and
others.

Stewart Farber
Public Health Sciences
[802] 496-3356

======

New Clinical Study Reveals TheraSeed Associated With Lower Complications In
Treatment For Prostate Cancer

BUFORD, Ga.--(BW HealthWire)--Oct. 28, 1999--Theragenics Corporation (NYSE: <A
 HREF="aol://4785:TGX">TGX</A>) today announced that a seven-year study
conducted at Yale University School of Medicine demonstrates that patients
receiving the Company's TheraSeed(R) palladium-103 (Pd-103) seed implants
experienced significantly lower incidences of side effects than patients
implanted with I-125.

The results of this peer-reviewed study appear in the October 29, 1999, issue
of Radiation Oncology Investigations: Clinical and Basic Research.

Drs. Richard E. Peschel, M.D., Ph.D. (professor of Radiation Oncology, Yale
University School of Medicine), Zhe Chen, Ph.D., Kenneth Roberts, M.D. and
Ravinder Nath, Ph.D. conducted the study at Yale University in which a review
of 123 early stage T1c and T2 prostate cancer patients implanted between 1992
and 1999 with I-125 (82 patients) or TheraSeed(R) (41 patients) reveals a
significantly lower overall complication rate with TheraSeed(R) (0%) versus
I-125 (13%). Most important, the grade III-IV complication (bladder, urethra,
and rectum) rate for TheraSeed(R) was 0% versus 6% for I-125. The three-year
actuarial probability of remaining free of long-term complications was 100%
for Pd-103 versus 82% for I-125. The study also reported that a review of the
literature for 992 patients implanted with I-125 (Drs. Beyer, Blasko, Hu,
Kaye and Peschel) versus 540 patients implanted with TheraSeed(R) (Drs.
Blasko, Peschel and Sharkey) shows a consistently higher complication rate
for I-125 versus TheraSeed(R).

These findings reveal that current prostate implant programs are highly
successful and that overall severe complication rates from both I-125 and
Pd-103 are very low when compared to other treatment modalities. A total of
11 (9%) patients of the 123 implants performed at Yale had a documented
long-term complication, all of whom were implanted with I-125. No patient
with a TheraSeed(R) implant has had a long-term complication. This study also
suggests that improvements in the outcomes with implant therapy are possible,
including better local tumor control or a reduction in moderate long-term
complications.

Another significant aspect of this study indicates that the minimum tumor
dose (MTD) for TheraSeed(R) may be increased without compromising side effect
results. By increasing the MTD of TheraSeed(R) the cell kill rate for
TheraSeed(R) implants will be greater than that of I-125 implants for all
higher grade tumors and low grade tumors.

"We already know TheraSeed(R) cures cancer. However, this first of its kind
study clearly indicates that men implanted with TheraSeed(R) can expect fewer
complications than with competing I-125 seeds. Less complications mean a
better quality of life for men choosing TheraSeed(R) for their prostate
cancer treatment," said Christine Jacobs, chairman, president and CEO of
Theragenics Corporation. "TheraSeed(R) was put to a rigorous test and
performed even better than we expected."

Theragenics Corporation, based in Buford, Ga., is the manufacturer of
TheraSeed(R) - palladium-103, a rice-sized radioactive device used in the
treatment of localized prostate cancer with a one-time, minimally invasive
procedure. For additional information on the Company, call Theragenics'
Investor Relations Department at (800) 998-8479. The Company's common stock
is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TGX.

CONTACT:

Theragenics Corporation

Ron Warren, 1-800-998-8479 or 770/271-0233