STAR (anti-nuclear) seminar another review of Jay Gould book

Oct. 29

Dear RADSAFERs:

	On 10-25 Eric Denison posted a message "Re:  Tooth Fairy Project" about
the RPHP and STAR and their claims about rhabdomyosarcoma.

	In a 10-27 posting "RPHP (Jay Gould) STAR (Helen Caldicott)" I gave the
RPHP URL and citations to reviews of two books authored or co-authored by
Gould.  I had been unable to find anything about STAR (Standing for Truth
about Radiation).

	I have located Dade Moeller's and Steven Merwin's review of Gould's book,
"The Enemy Within."  It is in the Health Physics Society Newsletter,
24(10):15-16; Oct. 1996.

	  I also located a report on a STAR symposium ("Recent Studies of Low
Level Radiation and Its Implications for Medicine and the Nuclear
Industry," written by the late Andy Hull.  It is in the Health Physics
Society Newsletter, 26(11):6-7; 11-98.  Organized in 1997, STAR is based on
Long Island.  Helen Caldicott, Alice Stewart, and Steve Wing were three of
the symposium speakers.

	(The study of Oak Ridge mortality by Wing et. al. was published in JAMA,
265:1397-1402, 1991.)

	STAR's URL is <http://www.noradiation.org/about.htm>.  Its page has links
to transcripts of the aforementioned symposium.

	From its home page:

	"STAR (Standing for Truth About Radiation) was organized by Long Islanders
and national leaders concerned about the toxic effects of nuclear radiation
in general, and contamination at the Millstone Nuclear Power Station and
the Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) in particular.

	"We promote public awareness, medical and scientific investigation,
institutional accountability, independent oversight, and responsible public
health and environmental policies."

	STAR is also participating in Jay Gould's baby tooth study.
And with that, this message closes the circle to Eric Denison's message on
RADSAFE about STAR and Gould's RPHP and his baby tooth project.

Steven Dapra

sjd@iolnm.net