Re: Release of I-131 Patients

An excellent study was done by the University of Michigan School of Public
Health that analyzed I-131 transfer from thyroid patients to their families
titled:  "Contamination of the Home Environment by Patients Treated with
Iodine-131:  Initial Results",  by A.P. Jacobson, PhD, P.A. Plato, PhD , and D.
Tobroek, MS (Am. J. Public Health 68:225-230, 1978).  I havn't been able to find
the followup study; if anyone knows if the followup study was published, please
post where it can be found.

John Sukosky
John_Sukosky@vapower.com

It seems that I have heard of a couple of facilities that have attempted to
measure external dose equivalents to the family members of I-131 patients by
issuing film or TLD badges to those family members.  Anyone know about this
and if so, where we can view the results?  That would be interesting.

Mack L. Richard, M.S., C.H.P.
Radiation Safety Officer - IUPUI/Indiana Univ. Med. Cntr.
Phone #: (317) 274-0330   Fax #: (317) 274-2332
E-Mail Address:  mrichar@iupui.edu