Irradiated golf balls- urban myth

Sorry about the delay in replying, just got back from 5 days at Myrtle
Beach (golf heaven).  BUT...
1. The USGA tested irradiated balls some time ago and stated that they did
not go further.  Perhaps someone has more recent data, but the USGA is the
official U.S. testing group.  So I presume this is one of those nuclear myths.
2. Such modified equipment is outside the rules of golf, i.e., illegal, for
those of us who are fanatics. (But I know the Bernie would not stoop to
such tactics.  Of course there is always the experimental physics aspects
of testing the spin and velocity characteristics of these accelerated
particles.)
3.  There are many sources of non-certified balls that go much further.  So
those who want such balls do not need to bug the Canadians for their souvenirs.
4.  The one ball I experimented with 7-8 years ago got lost pretty quick.
So I concluded that irradiation added a wanderlust characteristic to the ball.

P.S. I realize that this is pretty marginal  to the RADSAFE topic scope so
please flame me privately.  Melissa is lurking.

Disclaimer:  the above are the personal musings of the author, and do not
represent any past, present, or future position of NIST, the U.S. government,
or anyone else who might think that they are in a position of authority.
Lester Slaback, Jr.  C.H.P.  [Lester.Slaback@NIST.GOV]
NBSR Health Physics
Center for Neutron Research
NIST
100 Bureau Dr. STOP 3543
Gaithersburg, MD  20899-3543
301 975-5810
"A little risk adds a bit of spice to life."