Re: Patient Release - A Related Question

Steven Rima wrote:

>      Okay, Stephen, I'll buy that answer, but then why on earth are we
>      spending hundreds of millions on environmental cleanups to get the

Correction:  $100s Billions

>      public's dose to less than 15 or 25 mrem/y? If the cost of additional
>      hospitalization was the driving force to increase the public dose
>      limit from 100 mrem/y to 500 mrem/y for medical applications, why
>      isn't the same type of ALARA analysis applied to D&D activities?

Answer:   $100s Billions for cleanups
         As former-NRC Chairman Dicus stated: "Who Pays?  The Public."
    Now consider:  "Who Gets Paid?"   Fed programs? Reg "costs" as
"profits"?

    And - "cost of hospitalization" wouldn't count if still just passed
on the insurance company.  But, new medical/HMO "cost-control" shifts
incentives against hospitalization. Nuclear Medicine costs little to
provide large doses to patients compared to large costs to provide "rad
protection" to prevent possible trivial doses to the public.

Unfortunately, the nuclear industry still hasn't started to challenge
the unwarranted costs, previously "profits" stuck to the ratepayer, of
excessive rad controls. (Waiting for "privatization" to take hold - when
"rad control" will become responsible for balancing costs and benefits
instead of "control at any cost" - enabling rad control to become a
profession and a valuable management asset rather than bookkeepers and a
cost burden, to be replaced by a computer or tech.)

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
muckerheide@mediaone.net