Re[4]: Patient Release - A Related Question

     So, let's see, using the NRC's numbers, if I live near a nuclear power
     plant for its nominal 30 year life, I can legally receive up to 100
     mrem/y x 30 y = 3000 mrem. However, for cleanup, I can receive no more
     than 25 mrem/y x 70 y = 1750 mrem. Still doesn't add up to me...

     BTW, for those of you concerned with the amount of money being spent
     on cleanup for little or no gain, there is a fascinating analysis of
     the UMTRA mill tailings cleanup program in the May Health Physics
     Journal (Vol. 76, No. 5) entitled "Calculation of the Number of Cancer
     Deaths Prevented by the Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action
     Project." It analyzes 20 different project sites, and comes to the
     conclusion that in only two was the cost/death prevented less than $1
     million. Eight had a ratio exceeding $1 billion, with the highest
     cost/death prevented being $18 Billion! Not a great use of public
     resources.

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com