RE: Nuke Site Workers Report Ailments (Hanford)

I also have some reservations about articles like this.  In particular, the
section"

"The projects also found:

-Nearly half of former Hanford production workers had initial chest X-
rays showing abnormalities. Eighteen percent had diminished lung
function, when the comparable average for the same age range would be
about 5 percent.

-Seventy percent of workers had hearing loss, compared with about 50
percent for a comparable industrial population. Eighty-five percent
of those surveyed reported hearing impairment, compared with 22
percent in the general population.

-More than 5 percent of those tested were positive for beryllium
sensitization. Beryllium is a metal that was used at Hanford and can
cause lung disease. Between one-third and one-half of those workers
can expect to develop lung disease within five years, researchers
said."

1)  how many of these production worker are heavy smokers?  Were they
compared with workers with similar smoking rates?
2)  What was the average age of the workers with this hearing loss (Les's
question).
3)  What is the false positive rate for the beryllium sensitivity test?  Are
these confirmed results or preliminary screening results?

Only my opinion, but...

Grant Ceffalo, CHP