RE: BBC apology on Japanese criticality accident - NO EXPLOSION ! !

> ----------

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Dear Mr Weber,

Thank you for your note. In fact I have already seen that BBC report.
However, you may be interested to see what a less biased, less
sensationalistic report on exactly the same subject looks like:

http://www.nandotimes.com/healthscience/story/0,1080,500055221-500090841-500
330277-0,00.html
Minor safety hazards found at Japanese nuclear plants
Copyright © 1999 Nando Media
Copyright © 1999 Associated Press
TOKYO (November 9, 1999 7:04 a.m. EST http://www.nandotimes.com) -
Government inspectors checking 17 nuclear facilities in Japan turned up
violations of health and safety laws at more than half of them, though none
of the violations endangered workers, the Labor Ministry said.
The ministry inspected the plants - which did not include nuclear reactors -
to strengthen administration of the nuclear industry following the country's
worst-ever nuclear accident in September. The inspections during the first
three weeks of October turned up 25 violations of the Industrial Safety and
Health Law at nine facilities, the ministry said in a report released
Monday.
The problems included lack of health and safety control systems and failure
to hold regular inspections by industrial doctors. Some of the plants also
failed to take radiation measurements in some work areas.
The Labor Ministry inspections did not uncover the types of dangerous
violations involved in the September accident. The violations did not
present any danger to workers and the ministry did not expect to press
charges, said Takuya Nabeoka of the Labor Standards Bureau's inspection
division.
The ministry issued recommendations to 14 of the facilities inspected,
urging them to take steps such as keeping records of individual workers'
radiation levels on file permanently and developing emergency procedures in
case of an accident.
Japanese nuclear regulators were ordered to crack down on violators
following the Sept. 30 accident at a nuclear fuel reprocessing plant in
Tokaimura, 70 miles northeast of Tokyo.
The accident, in which workers skipped crucial safety steps while mixing
nuclear fuel, was apparently caused by disregard for safety procedures. It
exposed at least 69 people to radiation. The area around the plant was
evacuated and town residents were ordered to stay inside.
<><><><><><><><>

...furthermore, neither I nor my colleagues were impressed by your recent
reply to my e-mail,

<snip>

....in fact, as one of them commented,

...we are all still waiting for an explanation.

regards,

Jaro Franta
frantaj@aecl.ca