Re: RADSAFE digest 2756

radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu wrote:

>                             RADSAFE Digest 2756
>
> Topics covered in this issue include:
>
>   1) Re: Magnetic Field interference -PMT
>         by "Bjorn Cedervall" <bcradsafers@hotmail.com>
>   2) Potassium 40 variation in soil
>         by "Bjorn Cedervall" <bcradsafers@hotmail.com>
>   3) Re: Estimating doses from criticality accidents
>         by g2v13a@swbell.net
>   4) Re: Counting Sadistics
>         by KDA2921@aol.com
>   5) Re: RADSAFE digest 2753
>         by antatnsu@pacbell.net
>   6) Re: Potassium 40 variation in soil
>         by William V Lipton <liptonw@dteenergy.com>
>   7) RE: Potassium 40 variation in soil
>         by "Lieskovsky, Miro" <MLieskovsky@nbpower.com>
>   8) Re: RADSAFE digest 2753
>         by William V Lipton <liptonw@dteenergy.com>
>   9) Re: Potassium 40 variation in soil
>         by "Leon E Brown" <lebrown@cmsenergy.com>
>  10) RE: BBC apology on Japanese criticality accident - NO EXPLOSION !
>         by "Franta, Jaroslav" <frantaj@aecl.ca>
>  11) Re: Potassium 40 variation in soil
>         by "Bjorn Cedervall" <bcradsafers@hotmail.com>
>  12) Mexican Regulatory Contact found
>         by "Sandy Perle" <sandyfl@earthlink.net>
>  13) RE: RADSAFE digest 2755
>         by "Baker, Chuck" <cbaker@mchs.com>

> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 00:39:14 CET
> From: "Bjorn Cedervall" <bcradsafers@hotmail.com>
> To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> Subject: Re: Magnetic Field interference -PMT
>
> PMT - I realize that it probably stands for photomultiplicator tube or
> something like that. I apologize - got home late this evening after that
> shocking "magnetics talk" I just referred too. There were so many weird
> details that it interfered with my other associations. There was no joke
> intended in my previous comment.
>
> Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 00:55:27 CET
> From: "Bjorn Cedervall" <bcradsafers@hotmail.com>
> To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> Subject: Potassium 40 variation in soil
>
> I have this one number of 400 Bq K-40 per kg in soil. Guess that "soils" can
> vary in composition quite a bit. Can anyone give me an idea about the
> natural variation - or give me a hint about some relevant website? (I am
> also interested in values for granite and other major rock types). The same
> question is for Th-232 and U-238. This is for educational purposes - to
> teach people about natural radioactivity. Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 20:38:08 -0600
> From: g2v13a@swbell.net
> To: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> Subject: Re: Estimating doses from criticality accidents
>
> May I offer an apology to the "list" for my
> inappropriate use of the word "tragic" ?
>
> If my attempt to learn from others more
> knowledgeable than myself about events
> that are not reported with great accuracy
> or detail in the news media is inappropriate
> in this forum, then I apologize and ask to
> be removed from the list before I offend
> [...]

I don't feel Doug J. has any need to apologize for the use of the term
"tragic" in relation to the workers injured by the criticality accident
in Japan. Truly it is a tragedy to those injured and those who care
about them.

It is also tragic when workers in other industries are injured, whether
it is due to their own mistakes, the misjudgment of their supervisors or
management, or other reasons. It is a poor reflection on health
physicists when they don't feel that serious injury due to radiation is
tragic.

With all due respect,
Sylvia Pratt