RE: Re[2]: Irradiated milk to be available in Feb 2000 -Reply

	Why does the world need it?  Last figures I saw there was a world
excess food calories production.  Aren't 25% of the US population now
clinically obese (with Europe close behind)?  Don't both the EC and the US
intentionally destroy food? Who gets the benefits and who gets the risks?
There are starving people in the world because of politics and economics,
not scientific reasons.  Irradiating food won't help those.

> No one says anything about the irradiated spices that are imported into
> this
> country, and I see no point in vividly telling people that the milk is
> irradiated.  I'll lay you ten to one that, with the right spin on cold
> pastuerization, the health food fans will snap it up like crazy.

	No, I want irradiated foods clearly labelled as such.  And
preferably banned, except in special cases such as spices where the benefits
may outweigh the risks.  I do not want to increase my intake of free radical
precursors without knowing about it.  I do not want supermarkets to get away
with selling me old food at the same inflated price as fresh food.

> We health physicists make lousy sales people and maybe we should give more
> to the spin doctors.  On the other hand, I have seen some pretty good
> imaginations out there and I'll bet you could come up with a cool title
> for
> the process, one that the public would buy.  How's this one - the EBASHIM
> process for Electron Blast and SmasH E-coli in Meat? Ok, ok so I'm not a
> spin doctor.

	In the UK, I believe they were going to call it PICOWAVED, i.e.
microwaved but at shorter wavelength!

	All my own personal non-corporate thoughts.

	Regards

	Keith

	END

NNC Limited