Fwd: RADSAFE digest 2760

I disagree.  The nuclear navy has kept its operations and mistakes out of
the press so that they have never had to convince the public one way or
another.  I have worked both in and out of the naval nuclear program and
find little differences in the seriousness with which people in each
approach their jobs.  The big difference is that the Navy is
self-regulated.  When they make a mistake an incident report is circulated
for the education of other operators.  In the commercial business the
incident report is issued with a press release from both the utility and
the NRC.  Of course its issued with assurances, that although they felt a
press release was necessary, it's really not that serious.  That type of
system gives just the opposite impression.

The Navy has no profit motive either and to be honest could not run a
commercially competitive plant without a lot of changes.  But this is not
their mission so I would not expect or want them to operate like a
commercial power plant.

I don't mean to imply that the commercial nukes should be self regulated,
only that you are comparing two extremely different operations.  The Navy
is not "in this business" as you state.

Mike

P.S.  I would also rephrase your comment about zero tolerance for
error.  My experience with the Navy was that it was zero tolerance for
error without improvement or corrections.  I saw many errors made, but they
were followed by clear and immediate corrective actions to decrease the
odds of the same or similar mistakes from happening again.  After those
actions were complete those operators were back on watch.  Zero tolerance
for error implies an operator cannot make an error without losing his
job.  This isn't true and if it was would drastically decrease
self-reported mistakes and omissions.

>From: William V Lipton <liptonw@dteenergy.com>
>
>The one success story in this business, the Nuclear Navy, got that way by
>convincing the
>public that they take every photon and every mrem seriously, and that they
>have zero
>tolerance for error.
>
>The opinions expressed are strictly mine.
>It's not about dose, it's about trust.
>
>Bill Lipton
>liptonw@dteenergy.com

Michael C. Baker
Environmental Technology Group (E-ET)
Environmental Science & Waste Technology Division
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Mail Stop J594, Los Alamos, NM 87545

mcbaker@lanl.gov

(505) 667-7334 (phone)