Re: Fwd: Results of DNA damage Tests, JCO criticality accident, Refs.

>While I am not surprised, does anyone have a reference to confirm >that
>"such results can also be obtained from tests on cigarette >smokers."

What is referred to is probably 7,8-dihydro-8-oxoguanine (8-oxoG),
7,8-dihydro-8-oxo-2'-deoxyguanosine (8-oxo-dG) or 8-Hydroxydeoxyguanosine
(8-OHdG). These/this substance/s has/have been studied for a long time as
biomarkers including in urine. Guanine (the base) reacts very readily with
free radicals and alkylating agents at about 4-5 different sites. DNA in
general contains many nucleophilic centers. These can donate electrons and
therefore react readily with electrophilic compounds including alkylating
agents like dialkylnitrosoamines, epoxides and others. In 1975 I worked with
guanine reaction products (the O-6 and N-7 atoms - this is very different
from the C-8-atom since reactions with the latter break up a double bond).
For details regarding the C-8 atom I would recommend a contact with Peter
Svoboda or Mats Harms-Ringdahl (Univ. Stockholm) who work in the field -
they also had a recent paper in Radiat. Res.
Much about the organic/physical chemistry, and some of the biochemistry, was
understood already then - it was also about that time (1972?), that it was
found (by T. Lindahl and perhaps a few other people) that there is a high
degree of spontaneous base loss in every cell every days (at least the order
of 10 000 per day).

Guanine is quantitatively, but not necessarily from a mutational aspect, the
most important of these bases lost spontaneously. Any reaction products
(adducts) with guanine makes the structure more instable - the positions 7
(nitrogen) and 8 (carbon) are perhaps the most critical in this sense. The
oxygen on the 6 position is outside the ring system but an alkylation there
will lock the electron resonance structure in the enol form (as opposed to
the keto) and cause two of the three hydrogen bonds to disappear. The
oxidation products like 8-OHdG and also other oxidized base products are to
some degree extreted (urine) which probably is not the case with bases that
just hydrolyzed spontaneously (without any attack from free radicals or
alkylating agents).

The degree of alkylation/oxidation reactions interfering with the resonance
structure of the 5-ring (3 carbons and 2 nitrogens) is probably inhibited by
a high degree of anti-oxidant intake (eat a variety of vegetables!). If I
recall correctly (some annual report from the NY Academy of Sciences around
1975?), it was shown that smokers "use up" the vitamin C they take in - to a
higher degree than non-smokers. About the same time, there was also a report
showing that rats given nitrosoamines (or a precursor - can't remember) with
vitamin C supplement had a much lower level of dialkyl-nitrosoamines
(probably the dimethyl) in their blood as compared with the rats that got no
Vitamin C supplement. Anti-oxidants probably also
helps to protect us against free radicals (like the OH.). There has been
some controversy also regarding the role of smoking, and gender  (again room
for discussion of unequal risk factors) and the oxidation products formed -
it is not my major field nowadays but I have seen some reports while
browsing for other topics.

So what is all this saying? That among the relevant factors for the
formation of DNA breakdown products are probably smoking and food habits
(nitrites in foods! The strongest correlator BTW with childhood leukemia I
have seen in an epidemiological study (1994?) is the hot dog consumption
among Californian children - a six-fold increase for those having at least
12 hot dog meals per month - this is not saying that hot dogs is the _cause_
(there are now reports indicating that many of childhood leukemias may start
as molecular biology phenomena at the fetal stage)).
To the possibly relevant factors for DNA base breakdown products in urine
may be added age - I think that there are reports "out there" saying that
the levels of guanine/guanosine breakdown products in urine due to oxidation
of the 8-carbon (like those mentioned above) increase with age.

Litterature: I would search in Medline for articles in journals like
Mutation Research, Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, Carcinogenesis,
IJRB, Radiat. Res., E. Friedberg's books on DNA repair and probably many
other books.

I represent myself in the reflections above - please comment or correct
whatever may be relevant.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
Med. Radiation Biology & Med. Radiation Physics,
Karolinska Institutet, Box 260,
S-171 76 Stockholm, Sweden