Re: Radon dose and risk estimates

The ICRP in Publication 65 uses 4 mSv (400 mrem) per WLM (working level
month) for members of the public and  5 mSv (500 mrem) per WLM for
workers.  As you  may know, these values are based on epidemiological
considerations.

The RESRAD code (as of version 5) uses 760 mem/WLM for indoor exposure and
570 mrem/WLM for outdoor exposure (different particle size, attachment
fraction, breathing rate, etc).  This however is based on  the older ICRP
Publication 32 and NRC's  1991 study on extrapolating dose for mines to
homes.  (However, I believe that the NRC does not include radon dose in its
25 mrem/y decommissioning limit.)

The EPA uses slope factors that convert the inhalation intake of radon to
risk and therefore do not directly give a dose per WLM.   I believe that
are presently updating  their conversion factors for radon to accommodate
BEIR VI.

I stand to be corrected by more recent information.

Leo M. Lowe, Ph.D.
Senior Health and
Environmental Physicist

SENES Consultants Limited