Need Interpretation On Radon Testing Licensing Rules

For those of you who ever get involved in radon testing has it been your
experience that the licensing laws in the various states apply to any form of
radon testing no matter what the purpose or the location ?

The reason I ask this question is I just got an interpretation back from a
state agency (who will remain nameless) that simply appears so broad that any
HP at a uranium or thorium facility as well as those at Universities would be
required to be licensed if they either 1) ran a radon test or 2) told anyone
about the health effects of radon exposure.

I would also appreciate hearing from state agency folks who have had to got
through the hassle of interpreting and applying their radon licensing rules.
the states I have had to deal with up to this point have never had such a broad
interpretation. i.e. I was always lead to believe the licensing rules applied
to people who offered commercial testing services to members of the public in
their homes or office buildings and not to monitoring occupationally exposed
workers or to situations such as universities where a competent staff member is
available to respond to radon issues related to the university.

You can e-mail me with response to pcollopy@mjwcorp.com. After about a week
I'll summarize the replies back to the radsafe group.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Peter Collopy, CIH, CHP
MJW Corporation