In-Flight Radiation

May I make another contribution to the in-flight radiation discussion? I
posted the following paragraph to RADSAFE a few months ago:

>It is important to recognize that for all airline crewmembers, cosmic
radiation exposures are well within the acceptable occupational limits of 50
mSv (5 rem) annually. But, as was pointed out in other postings, exposures of
5-6 mSv (500-600 mrem) per year are not unusual for many crewmembers. This
means that in a career of 20 or 30 years, cumulative exposures greater than
100 mSv (10 rem) are likely. I mention this because the HPS position
statement "Radiation Risk in Perspective" considers individuals who have an
exposure of "10 rem lifetime" to be potentially at increased risk of
radiation-produced health effects. In other words, those of you who are
critical of LNT projections for exposures of a few mrem might look at these
crewmember exposures with a somewhat different perspective. My present
concern for flight crewmembers is related to the lack of compliance by the
aviation industry with a 1994 FAA advisory requesting that they provide
information to these crewmembers about their radiation exposure. Unlike all
other Federal agencies, which have made such training a requirement for
occupationally exposed individuals working under their regulatory control,
the FAA has left their recommendation in advisory form for the past five
years, even though they know that it is being ignored. I don't think this is
right, particularly for pregnant crewmembers who might exceed fetal dose
limits if they continue to work their normal schedule.>

My concerns with this issue simply relate to a belief that these workers have
the right to be properly informed about their radiation exposure and its
risks (however small those risks may be) in the same way as are workers in
all other industries.  It is we RADSAFE members who provide education and
training to these more "traditional" radiation workers. I think this is
important because the magnitude of the exposures to this worker group (as
discussed in the previous paragraph) is greater than that of 95% of all other
occupationally exposed individuals. This fact alone makes it hard to argue
that the health physics profession should ignore workers receiving exposures
which are higher than those received by most of our present constituency.

In 1990 the FAA issued an advisory circular (AC 120-52) on the subject of
in-flight radiation exposure of crewmembers. In that FAA document, pilots and
flight attendants were explicitly classified as radiation workers. A two-day
symposium was held in Oklahoma City, the site of the FAA Civil Aeromedical
Institute. Representatives of many of the world's airlines attended it; all
major US carriers were represented. The 1994 advisory, AC 120-61, (referred
to in the paragraph above) was specifically issued as a recommendation to all
air carriers to educate their crewmembers about radiation because similar
recommendations contained in the 1990 advisory were being ignored. In the
1994 advisory circular, the FAA admitted that their motivation in issuing the
document was their need to conform with the Presidential guidance on
radiation applicable to all Federal regulatory agencies. However, in the five
years since that advisory was published, no airline has provided any
radiation training to their occupationally exposed workers; they have all
ignored the second advisory as they did the first.

In Europe it will be a requirement of law in May 2000 that all flight
crewmembers of the twenty-seven airlines in the EU receive radiation training
and dose assessment. This came about because of concerns of the pilots and
flight attendants unions which have more vigorously pursued these issues than
have their US counterparts.

It has been my experience that flight attendants and pilots know virtually
nothing about in-flight radiation. I am very surprised to hear that pregnant
passengers are being told anything about the risks. It is certainly not the
policy of any airline to provide such information. Also, the anecdotal
incident described in the posting emphasized risks in the second trimester
rather than the first. This suggests to me that it was most likely an
individual flight attendant giving what she (or he) thought was helpful
advice that was slightly off base. My solar flare hotline (1-877-SUNFLARE) is
specifically intended to allow a pregnant passenger an opportunity to learn
of the existence of a significant solar particle event with the possibility
of postponing her travel for a few hours until the "storm" lessens in
severity. You should be able to find more detailed comments on this subject
in the RADSAFE archive from mid-summer when I posted a fairly detailed
description of the service.

Finally, here are some comments with respect to frequent flyers. The 1 mSv
limit for members of the public will generally be exceeded by travel of
approximately 75,000 miles per year. There are about 400,000 business
travelers who travel this much each year. But these are also occupational
exposures. It is my contention that these people should also be informed
about in-flight radiation. Even though they will never approach the
occupational MPD as a result of their travel, I believe that they are
entitled to the same "right to know" as are the crewmembers with whom they
fly. Not providing this information to them could be risky. There was a legal
conference in England last June in which British attorneys (who are far less
litigious than their American counterparts) discussed the potential liability
for employers who might be accused of a "failure to warn" should any of these
business frequent-flyers develop cancer (and 22% of them will based on normal
incidence) and decide to sue. You can read a BBC story about this at

 http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_380000/380274.stm

By the way, I am an examiner for the ABR as was stated in a posting but I
have not worked for the ICRP or ICRU. Perhaps the author was referring to my
role on the program committee for the 1998 annual meeting of the NCRP on the
topic of cosmic radiation exposure of astronauts, airline crewmembers and
passengers.

Rob Barish, CHP
robbarish@aol.com