Re: Nuclear Agency Maintains All Plants Y2K Clear

Radsafers,
I often get forwarded stuff from anti-nuke groups, some of which
may be of interest here in talking about a prepared journalistic
response to counter their claims.

Thier current thrust is a call for a 'power down' over the Y2K
period largely 'based' on these assertions highlighted by them...

http://www.latimes.com/CNS_DAYS/990817/t000073327.html
Nuclear power plants are dependent upon an intact external
electricity supply to maintain the circulation of about 1 million
gallons of water per minute to cool the radioactive core and also
to keep the spent fuel pools cool. If a section of the grid goes
down, the approximately 100-ton fissioning uranium core in the
affected reactor will melt within two hours if the two back up
diesel generators--whose reliability has been estimated at 85%--fail.
Unlike the reactor cores, most of the spent fuel pools, which hold
four to five times more radioactivity than the core, have no back
up power supply nor containment vessel, and thus could melt within
48 hours if the reactor has been recently refueled; if not, they
would melt within two weeks without cooling water. Twenty-six U.S.
reactors are scheduled for refueling before Jan. 1.
While Koskenin admitted the possibility of random power outages
in the U.S. electricity grid, he did not address the issue of the precarious back-up generators nor the fact that the NRC requires
only one week of diesel fuel at each reactor site, even though
local power outages could last longer.

...and...

http://ens.lycos.com/ens/nov99/1999L-11-09-06.html
On October 26, representatives of the federal General Accounting
Office’s Y2K Computing Challenge office offered testimony before
Congress that casts doubt on the NRC assurances.
Joel Willemssen and Keith Rhodes, directors of the accounting and
information management division of the GAO, detailed weaknesses
in the NRC reporting process to subcommittees of the House
Committee on Science and the House Committee on Government Reform.
The GAO spokesmen pointed out that the NRC has not required that
its licensees perform an independent verification and validation
(IV&V) of their Y2K remediation programs.
"Although we were told by NRC that some licensees obtained
independent technical reviews of each facility's Y2K system test
plans and results, NRC did not have specific, current information
identifying the types of Y2K IV&V reviews performed at nuclear
power facilities," Willemssen and Rhodes said.
"NRC noted that the industry had reported in April 1999 that
multiple audits were completed. ... However, neither NRC nor the
industry issued guidelines establishing criteria to ensure
consistency of reviews," they testified.
Without an IV&V, the NRC cannot know which plants might need
additional work, due to inadequate Y2K testing and preparation
programs, the GAO testimony concluded.
All NRC licensees, including nuclear power plants, are required
to have contingency plans in place in case unforeseen problems
do arise from the Y2K bug. The GAO says these plans, like the
actual Y2K remediation, have not been adequately verified.
"While the nuclear power plants have reportedly completed Y2K
contingency plans, it is unclear as to whether these facilities
have validated their plans," Willemssen and Rhodes testified.
"While NRC's assessment ... included questions on whether the
facility validated contingency plans, NRC has not summarized the
results of each question from all plants and therefore does not
know how many plants responded affirmatively that they had indeed
tested their plans. Further, NRC did not assess how the plans
were being validated."
"It is unknown whether or not each plant has recently tested,
through normal emergency exercises, scenarios addressing potential
Y2K induced failures. Therefore, given the known Y2K threat to
nuclear facilities, we believe that NRC should obtain information
on the scope and extent of nuclear power plants' emergency
exercises, and whether these exercises have incorporated Y2K
scenarios."
In addition, Willemssen and Rhodes pointed out that the NRC has
not required nuclear fuel facilities or decommissioned nuclear
power plants to develop specific Y2K contingency plans. Eight of
10 fuel facilities plan to be in safe shutdown mode during the
Y2K changeover. The remaining two facilities - the Paducah Gaseous
Diffusion Plant in Paducah, Kentucky, and the Portsmouth Gaseous
Diffusion Plant in Piketon, Ohio - have contingency plans that are
acceptable to the NRC.
"NRC could not say how many of the decommissioned plants completed
contingency plans," noted the GAO experts, "as the agency had not
reviewed them because NRC staff concluded that Y2K issues were
highly unlikely to cause a potential threat to public health and
safety at such plants."
In early 1999, some of the nation’s 14 decommissioned nuclear power
plants that store spent fuel onsite reported they were not yet Y2K
ready. Willemssen and Rhodes observed that the NRC has not reviewed
their status since. "Because of the risk posed by the spent fuel
facilities at these sites, we believe that NRC should evaluate and
report on the current Y2K status of these plants," they recommend.
Finally, the GAO questioned whether nuclear facilities are
adequately prepared for potential power outages, supply shortages,
and other external problems that could occur on or after January 1,
2000.

According to Willemssen and Rhodes' testimony, "Probably the most
serious external risks faced by a nuclear power plant are the
potential instability of the electric power grid and the loss of
offsite electric power. ... NRC studies show that a major
contributor to reactor core damage is a station blackout event."

"NRC officials told us that nuclear power plants have taken
certain actions to be ready for the Y2K rollover," Willemssen and
Rhodes said, "such as requiring additional staffing and stockpiling
consumables (i.e., diesel fuel for emergency diesel generators).
However, these do not entail a comprehensive set of actions to be carried out systematically by every operational nuclear power plant."
"The actions that the nuclear power plants and fuel facilities take
during this time will be just as critical as actions taken already
to become Y2K ready," the GAO spokesmen concluded.
Willemssen and Rhodes recommended to Congress that the NRC further
evaluate Y2K preparations that have already been made, and ensure
that plant emergency plans include Y2K scenarios.

Now, radsafers, don't shoot the messenger, me, but do expect the
anti-nuke crowd to also now castigate the reliance upon "voluntary
efforts" mentioned in the following article (posted to radsafe
earlier today) and also to where they'll 'snip out' and now run
with only these two paragraphs, from it, which they'll depict as
'proof' of too little of a safety margin in-place...

>NRC said there are no requirements that plants have a 30-45 day
>supply of emergency diesel generator fuel, nor do they believe
>additional supplies are necessary.
>
>The agency based its assumptions on the reliability of the power
>grid and past successes at sustaining safety systems during events
>such as hurricanes, that typically demand a six to seven day
>supply of diesel fuel.

Radsafers, I have neither the credentials, nor the expertise,
to 'wade in swinging' on either side of the debate above, and
would feel comfortable only offering this single observation
of my own...

Any radsafers that are interested in raising this industriess'
public respectability level will counter the anti-nuke crowds
assertions with prepared facts specifically addressing the above
concerns they are currently touting. (While avoiding simply
pointing to the source as biased, which is also this industries
frustrating complaint in regards to their own media coverage, too.)
And, if you discover that there is any legitimate room for
additional safety margin improvements, regardless of who pointed
them out, they should be as eagerly embraced, too.
That combined approach to the issue will engender the highest
respectability return, IMO.

Shane Connor
mailto:webmaster@ki4u.com
http://www.ki4u.com/