Re: Questions

Dr. Marcus, please don't take this personnally, but I think yours was the
wrong response.  I have seen much discussion on RADSAFE on the topic of
communicating with the public and getting the message accross that
radiation is not as dangerous as the public believes.  Yet, when RADSAFE
gets a request for help from a non-expert what happens?  This is not a way
to win friends and influence people.

                    carol marcus
                    <csmarcus@ucla.edu        To:     Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
                    >                         cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: Questions
                    radsafe@romulus.eh
                    s.uiuc.edu

                    17-11-99 04:00 PM
                    Please respond to
                    radsafe

At 10:46 PM 11/16/99 -0600, you wrote:
>--------------3DA315DDC6A75F2AD9F4945E
>
>Hello,
>
>My name in Amanda Graham and I am a Journalism student researching
>environmental links to breast cancer.  I was wondering if anyone could
>help me find information on cancer rates in North America in locations
>around nuclear power plants and nuclear waste sites. Any information
>would be very helpful.
>
>Thank you,
>Amanda
>
>amanda.graham@sympatico.ca
>

>--------------3DA315DDC6A75F2AD9F4945E

>Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:18:47 -0600 (CST)
>From: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>Subject: Error Condition Re: Questions
>Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
>To: amanda.graham@sympatico.ca
>
>amanda.graham@sympatico.ca: You are not subscribed to
radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu.
>Your message is returned to you unprocessed. If you want to subscribe,
>send mail to listserv@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu with the following request:
>
>         subscribe RADSAFE Your Name

>Hello,
>
>My name in Amanda Graham and I am a Journalism student researching
>environmental links to breast cancer.  I was wondering if anyone could
>help me find information on cancer rates in North America in locations
>around nuclear power plants and nuclear waste sites. Any information
>would be very helpful.
>
>Thank you,
>Amanda
>
>amanda.graham@sympatico.ca

Dear Amanda:

Pick another research project.  You're dead wrong.  Doses of radiation
much,
much higher than anyone gets from a nuclear power plant have been shown to
DECREASE breast cancer (the Canadian breast cancer study).  Only moderate
high doses increase it.  You obviously don't know anything about nuclear
power plants, but the MAXIMUM yearly radiation dose to a member of the
public is 25 mrem.  The average background radiation in the USA is 300 mrem
per year; it is around 500 mrem in Denver, 600-700 mrem in Colorado ski
areas, and about 900 mrem per year in Copper City, Colo.  You get 1 mrem
for
every 1000 miles or so flown in an airplane.

Pick another research project.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>