Re: Questions

Dear Amanda,
    If your research on possible links between nuclear facilities and cancer
is part of an assignment in one of your journalism classes, and you want to
get a good mark for this assignment, than you are going about it all wrong!
    To prepare a news article on the subject that conforms to the apparent
standards of contemporary  journalism, you must first determine the
conclusion of the article,  which, in this case, is that nuclear facilities
cause cancer.
Everybody knows that any exposure to deadly radiation causes cancer. If this
were not the case, why would the government have spent billions of dollars
studying the problem?
    To support your conclusion, you should absolutely avoid any exploration
of irrelevant factors such as cancer incidence rates of populations in the
vicinity of nuclear facilities. This will only get you a lot of
inconclusive scientific and statistical mumbo-jumbo that would only confuse
a largely innumerate public  and result in an article that would almost
certainly be rejected by any editor.
    The proper approach to your research should be to go to the neighborhood
of your nearest nuclear facility and find someone who has cancer  (This
should not be difficult since there are many cancer cases in all
communities). In case the victim is not already aware of it, inform them
that radiation exposure from the nuclear facility could have caused their
disease. Next, interview the "victim" to learn all the details of their
tragedy, and what a terrible disruption it has had upon their life. Your
article should describe this tragedy in detail to get sympathy for the
victim and show the callous indifference of the facility operator. If you do
what I suggest, I believe you will produce a sure-fire winner.
jjcohen@prodigy.net