RE: DOE 10CFR835 Question

> Would you necessarily need to have an RWP?  Best practice would be to have
> an RWP in place but there are no longer any "shall" statements that I have
> been able to find that require the use of an RWP for entry into a
> radiological area.  As long as you can demonstrate some "equivalency"
> wouldn't that be enough?

Chris,

It doesn't really matter what you call it. Whether there is a "shall"
or not doesn't really go to the issue. The point I am making is that
if you expect to control work, and ensure that the workers understand
the requirements for the job, and entry into specific areas, you need
to have instructions. Verbal instructions are meaningless, and the
only viable method is for written instructions. If you don't want to
call the instructions a RWP, call it what you like. The only
requirement be that the instructions be in written form. Now, if they
are written, they should be written meeting some procedural
requirement. There can't be accountability until there is information
documented, demonstrating that workers are informed, the job is
performed, and all procedural requirements were met.

Sander C. Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle