RE: Y2K the Movie - NBC stirkes again

I understand what we are trying to do as Health Physicists by interacting
with the media, particularly on mass media events such as this
movie...but...

I watched that deadly train movie with Rob Lowe.  I think it lost some of
the excitement by calling the cargo "hazardous" instead of radioactive.  The
movie was put together for entertainment purposes, I think.  To me, and I
think I can tell the difference between fiction and non-fiction, it (the
movie) lost entertainment value.  A nuclear warhead wound up on the train
and all of a sudden, the threat was hazardous cargo.

By the way, are we (HP) concerned with grade "C" movies such as Class of
Nuke 'em High (I love this movie...I even own it)?  Or are these just so
pathetic that the world can sort out the utterly ridiculous from the not so
ridiculous i.e., NBC movie of the week?

How far could entertainment go without the nuclear industry giving us the
flux capacitor using fusion power in Back to the Future, photon torpedoes in
Star Trek, and the infamous Homer Simpson with characters such as
Radioactive Man saying "up and ATOM?"  Anybody remember the Hulk or
Spiderman?  Obviously these are purely ficiton.

Matt Williamson
Indian Point Unit 3
Williamson.m@nypa.gov <mailto:Williamson.m@nypa.gov>

Just my ramblings about nuclear entertainment...