Tooth Fairy Interview

Radsafers,

The local TV show regarding the tooth fairy project aired last night.  They
did, in my opinion a relatively balanced job.  They allowed Jerry Brown to
state that they had found increased cancer risk from living within 100 miles
of a reactor.  The also included his statements about
Sr-90 as a known carcinogen.

On the other hand they included my statement implicating atmoshperic testing
as the probable source of any Sr-90 found.  They acknowledged that the group
is an anti-nuclear advocacy group,  They included my statement that no state
has ever validated any of the groups finding and a quoteindicating that the
usual statements from states was that the group "overstated and
misrepresented their findings".  They acknowledged that the levels found
were "trace" and probably should be of no concern.  They stated that the
scientific community was very sceptical of the findings.    At the end the
shows anchor said to the reporter, "Am I being stupid or aren't we
constantly being exposed to radiation? Couldn't this be just what we they
are finding?"  The reporter acknoledged that there is exposure from cosmic
rays, medical x-ray and radioisotopes in the soil.

Overall the piece was certainly not alarmist and pointed out a number of the
problems with the tooth fairy project.

Edward C. Pombier
R.S.O. and Director
University of Miami