From: Tom Mohaupt [mailto:tom.mohaupt@wright.edu]
Sent: November 24, 1999 9:00 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: latest study by Gofman published on the web

Who is Egan O'Conner, the editor of Dr. Gofman's digital essay? Is Mr.
O'Conner an x-ray tech, radiologist, healt physicist? Or is he an
environmentalist or wordsmith?

Perhaps he's publishing this for another round of circular logic. Once it's
published, people can cite it as a "credible" reference.

Tom

"Michael C. Baker" wrote:

> The latest piece of work by Gofman is now available on the web (Don't
flame
> me, I don't agree with his conclusions. I am just passing on this link for
> your information.)
>
> Mike ... mcbaker@lanl.gov
>
> -----------------------
>
> >Radiation from Medical Procedures in the Pathogenesis of  Cancer and
> >Ischemic Heart Disease: Dose-Response Studies with Physicians per 100,000
> >Population
> >
> >John W. Gofman, M.D., Ph. D.
> >Professor Emeritus, Molecular and Cell Biology
> >University of California, Berkeley
> >
> >Edited by Egan O'Connor
> >
> >Hypothesis-1: Medical radiation is a highly important cause (probably the
> >principal cause) of cancer mortality in the United States during the
> >Twentieth Century. Medical radiation means, primarily, exposure by xrays
> >(including fluoroscopy and CT scans).
> >
> >Hypothesis-2: Medical radiation, received even at very low and moderate
> >doses, is an important cause of death from Ischemic Heart Disease; the
> >probable mechanism is radiation-induction of mutations in the coronary
> >arteries, resulting in dysfunctional clones (mini-tumors) of smooth
muscle
> >cells.
> >
> >http://www.ratical.org/radiation/CNR/RMP/

My opinions and nothing more.