RE: Negative Press/Orphan sources/scrap recycle

Mr. Leonard is not the only person I've heard say they were mis-quoted in
this series.

I too live in Bergen County and am trying to get a response to the paper.

I agree with the concern for orphan sources, but I don't agree that these
items are free distributed without regard for the radioactivity and no way
to track them.  Generally licensed products are designed to minimize
exposure to the public.  The designs are reviewed and approved.  They are
also manufactured by persons holding a specific license.  The items are
labeled in accordance with the regulations.

The exit signs are portrayed as being sold over the counter with no concept
that they are radioactive.  We received a sign last year.  It was labeled
with instructions not to abandon etc., and a copy of 10CFR20 accompanied the
item (I did have to call the vendor and let them know of the rule change in
1992 and they may want to get an updated copy of the reg.).

I haven't dealt with moisture density gauges, but I have dealt with metal
alloy analyzers, also generally licensed.  Again, these devices are labeled
IAW the regs.  And for these, I assume similarly for the moisture density
gauges, the vendor I contacted had records of the persons possessing them
through his program.  This is also a requirement.

Most vendors take back old gauges or exit signs.  JQ Public doesn't have to
saddle the disposal costs.  I'm sure there is some fee involved,
nonetheless.

People will forever steal moisture density gauges and take short cuts by
abandoning materials.  They (people) do it with cars and children.  Where
there is a will there is a way.

Matt Williamson
Indian Point Unit 3
Williamson.m@nypa.gov <mailto:Williamson.m@nypa.gov>

My opinions only.  Not necessarily those of NYPA, Entergy, or anyone else
who might buy this slightly used PWR.