Ukraine Restarts Chernobyl After 5-Month Repairs

Friday November 26 7:26 AM ET

Ukraine Restarts Chernobyl After 5-Month Repairs

KIEV, Ukraine (Reuters) - Ukraine began warming up the only remaining
nuclear reactor at Chernobyl Friday for what could be the last few
months of operation of the troubled power plant, a top station
official said.

Senior engineer Olexander Yelchishchev told Reuters by telephone from
the plant that the reactor, which takes more than a day to reach full
capacity, would be considered fully switched on by Sunday.

``We restarted the unit Friday at 5:22 a.m. after five months of
repair work and expect to reach the reactor's full power of 1,000
megawatts late Sunday,'' he said. ``The reactor is now working at
about five percent of capacity.''

The number three reactor is the last unit still in operation at
Chernobyl, whose number four reactor exploded in April 1986, spewing
a cloud of radioactive dust over Ukraine, Belarus, Russia and parts
of Western Europe.

Thirty-one people were killed outright and thousands were affected by
the blast, the world's worst civil nuclear disaster. Fire and old age
have since forced the closure of the two other reactors at the plant.
 Ukraine has delayed the closing of the last reactor until sometime
next year from the end of this year as agreed with Western
governments, blaming foreign partners' failure to approve promised
funds to complete replacement capacity.

The head of the former Soviet state's nuclear energy authority
Energoatom said this week that running the 22-year-old plant, which
requires almost six months of repairs every year, would not make
economic sense after 2000.

Ukraine's five nuclear plants provide almost 50 percent of its
electricity needs.

Yelchishchev said the start of cold weather had forced the station to
bring forward the originally planned date for restarting the reactor,
located 110 km (70 miles) north of Kiev, as fuel was lacking to keep
the reactor's water pipes unfrozen.

But he said the early start presented no safety hazards.

``So far everything is going completely normally. We are carrying out
the usual tests but we are sure that everything will be fine,'' he
said.

``I am very happy we have already restarted the unit, because nobody
knows what might have happened during the cold weather expected
during the next few days. We have extremely small stocks of fuel for
our boiler station.''

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle