Re: Again 8 kB

Nov. 28

	In a posting responding to Jim Muckerheide, Franz Schoenhofer wrote, "You
claim scientific evidences - which you have not
presented . . .."; and, "I conclude for myself that you cannot present any
scientific evidence for your claims. ("Again 8 kB", 11-26-99).

	Mr. Schoenhofer seems to be asking for evidence in support of the hormetic
effect.

	He could consult the Transactions of the ANS, Vol. 73, TANSOA 73, 1995.
Pages 16-20 and 32-48 have articles on hormesis or threshold levels,
including an article by T. D. Luckey.  Health Physics 43:6; 771-82 has
Luckey's review of papers on hormesis, with either citations or a
bibliography.  T. D. Luckey has also written a lengthy and detailed book on
hormesis:  Radiation Hormesis (CRC Press; 1991;
ISBN: 0849361591).

	He could also read "Biological effects of low level exposures to chemicals
and radiation," (Health Physics; 66:216); or "Health effects of low level
radiation," (Health Physics; 66:474).

	I do not have the full citation, but the entire issue of Health Physics
Vol. 52 (beginning around p. 520) addresses radiation hormesis.

	Three articles at the popular level are "Hormesis and High Fliers:
Radiation Risks Revisited," by John R. Cameron, (Physics Today; pp. 13+;
3-92); "The health effects of low-level
radiation: . . . ," by Jim Muckerheide, (Nuclear News; 38(11):26-34;
9-95); and "Cancer Risk of Low-Level Exposure," by Marvin Goldman,
(Science; 271(____); 1821-22; 3-29-96).

	It is neither my desire nor my intent to get into the middle of a dispute.
 I merely wish to point out that there is a large body of scientific
literature to support the hormetic effect, and I respectfully invite Mr.
Schoenhofer to avail himself of it.

Steven Dapra
sjd@iolnm.net