Help-stack monitoring for emergency -Reply

Chan,

Stick with an ion chamber if possible.  Fewer calibration issues to be
concerned with.  Maybe you could use the RSO's cal range next
door??  You could also try reconfiguring your tritium stack monitor
(if you still have it) to look for Xe.  This might be your least
expensive alternative.

'Sounds like a good NE 401(?) student project.

Good Luck!
My own personal/non-corporate thoughts,
v/r
Michael
mford@pantex.com
TX Radiation Advisory Board (& Former Student ... Aggie-specific
lingo for the uninitiated)

>>> "Chan-Hyeong Kim" wrote on Mon 29 Nov 99  12:00 >>>
Dear Colleagues:

I always appreciate your help and valuable comments!  The Texas
A&M University Nuclear Science Center is preparing to produce
~1000 Ci of Xe-125.  For this, it is necessary to monitor the dose rate
at the stack for emergency.  It is found that ion chamber or GM tube
is the best option for the dose rate at the stack (~5-200 mR/h range).
The problem is that we need to read the dose rate at a "distant" place
(~20 feet from the detector).  Do any of you have a good idea on
this?  The other problem is that we can spend not so much, less
than $3,000, on this.  I would appreciate your help.

Chan

Chan Hyeong Kim, Ph.D.
Assistant Director
Nuclear Science Center