Re: Dose Rates vs. Altitude

Radsafers,

Dose rate varies with latitude as well as with altitude.  I recommend that
you look at one of the Information sheets produced by the New Zealand
National Radiation Laboratory at
http://www.nrl.moh.govt.nz/sheets/is19.html.  This includes a table of dose
rates for different altitudes at 7 bands of latitude, together with
estimates of annual doses for New Zealand flight crew.

Regards

Richard

At 02:15 A 1.12.1999 -0600, you wrote:

>RADSAFERS: A quest for data on dose rates Vs altitude: I've recently had a
>request from a American Airlines pilot concerning dose rates versus
>altitude for air crews inside aircraft. Apparently this pilot's daughter
>was taken aloft with a GM counter in hand and the meter response startled
>all on board. I know this data exists somewhere but I am hoping someone
>can direct me to where that might be... or supply me with dose rate data
>between 10,000-50,000 feet or so for aircrews.
>
>Maybe next time I will take my own GM for some first hand data. Also, the
>daughter wanted to conduct a high school lab experiemnt with her dad
>whereby she wore a TLD on the ground while her dad wore another while
>flying...... any comments ???
>
>Thanks Much,
>
>Tom Harrison
>RSO
>Univ of North Texas
>Denton, TX
>e-mail: tomh@facstaff.cas.unt.edu

Richard Smart PhD
Principal Physicist & Radiation Safety Officer
Department of Nuclear Medicine
St. George Hospital
Kogarah, NSW 2217
Australia