From: carol marcus [mailto:csmarcus@ucla.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 2:05 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Radioactive blood

At 11:56 AM 12/1/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>We have had a few I-131 patients who had to have blood drawn during their
>>hospital stay.  Sometimes the blood is drwan within a few hours of I-131
>>administration.  We found that this blood can be quite hot.  To the point
>>that I didn't like handling it without a lead container (approx 10-20
mR/hr
>>at the test tube surface, where the phlebotomist and lab personnel will be
>>handling it).  In spite of this, the bigger concern was when the lab
disposed
>>of the contaminated blood.  I-131 has some fairly energetic photons that
will
>>be picked up by the radiation detectors at the medical waste incenerator
even
>>in small quantities (on the order of 1 or 2 millicuries.  Don't ask how I
>>know!).
>>
>>So really the bigger question here is maintaining control of the
radioactive
>>materials used under your license.  The previous RSO was probably only
>>concerned with exposure to personnel but, with the strict precautions, he
>>also took care of the control issue.  I would recommend that you move
>>carefully in removing some of these controls.  We instituted the rule that
if
>>blood (or any other bodily fluid) was to be removed from the restricted
area,
>>a physicist MUST be present to oversee the process.  We would survey the
>>sample after it was taken and then walk it through the lab if there was a
>>significant reading coming off of it.  Yes, this meant that I was called
at
>>one or two in the morning and had to go in to oversee the blood, but on
>>almost every occasion I was glad that I did!  This should go for other
>>isotopes that give off gammas as well.  We didn't worry about Metastron,
>>since it is a pure beta emitter.  We did worry about Quadromet since
Sm-153
>>has a 103 keV (or there abouts) gamma that is easily detectable a good
>>distance away.
>>
>>Just my two cents worth and I will say that I tend to the cautious side on
>>these issues, so meet your own comfort level.
>>
>>Charles M. Carver, MS, DABMP
>>Chief Physicist
>>Medical X-ray Center
>>Sioux Falls, SD
>>ccarverms@aol.com

Dear All:

In 19 years of Nuclear Medicine practice, I have never found it necessary to
draw blood shortly after I-131 was administered.  All bloods were drawn
ahead of time.  The first question to ask is why these bloods were being
drawn in the first place.

The Authorized User is responsible for all aspects of this, not a physicist.
You should not be coming in to worry about it---your AU should.  And, if he
is too irresponsible to do so, he shouldn't be an AU.  If your patient is
that sick, the AU had better be there or be directing things from wherever
he is.

The Quadramet situation is different, in that it clears much more quickly
from the blood than NaI-131.  By 6 hours post-administration, all Quadramet
has either gone to the skeleton or has gone out in urine; only trace amounts
remain in the blood. The photon is only present in 29% of disintegrations,
and activity administered is usually 70 - 100 mCi.

Ciao, Carol