Re:GM Calibration Question

Malek,

I'm assuming the "beam" you refer to is strictly gammas and the calibration is
performed for dose rate readings (e.g., mR/hr).

I suspect the increased pancake probe readings for when the probe is facing the
beam is due to a greater cross-sectional area of detector being exposed to the
beam.  Less cross-sectional probe area is exposed when the probe is held such
that the beam is incident upon the side of the pancake probe.

The exact position of the probe during calibration is not critical as long as
the probe is used (in the field) in the same manner as during calibration.

I would suggest positioning the probe in such a way that maximizes its
efficiency.

Rodney Bauman, RRPT, CHP
rodney_bauman@wssrap-host.wssrap.com