Re: Update (12/01): Status of patients from the JCO Criticality

Richard,

Your questions point to the poignant realm of bioethics. Physicians and
care givers are constrained to do all they can for the patient, and the
best do just that. I worked in a burn unit many years ago. I've seen
literally dozens of victims with thermal burns who had prognoses as bad or
worse than Mr. "A". Some of the symptoms and complications for severe
thermal burn victims are different than for persons irradiated to lethal
radiation doses. But the unrelenting pain and anguish inscribed on their
faces are probably very much the same. Perhaps the only answer I can give
as to "Why even try to save a patient when the prognosis is so grim?" is
that some patients have a chance to walk out if you try, none will walk out
if you don't.

Perhaps the most important lesson I carry from by younger days working in a
burn unit is that fire is much more dangerous than radiation. This very
severe criticality accident in Japan may lead to zero to 2 deaths. If you
advocate the LNT theory you can even calculate some future cancer deaths
for other persons exposed. House fires occur relatively frequently and
account for many, many more lives lost. If you advocate the LNT theory for
chemical carcinogens, you can calculate some future cancer deaths for
persons exposed to dioxins and other products from burned plastics,
fiberglass, etc. Some of the survivors from house fires suffer severe burns
and end up in a burn unit in a condition, sometimes, not any better than
Mr. "A". Bioethics is a complicated subject with as many perspectives as
there are personal opinions.

Please don't get me wrong. Both criticality accidents and house fires are
tragic and unacceptable. I just wanted to show that the critical condition
of Mr. A is not so unique if you take a stroll through a burn or intensive
care unit.

Tom

--
Thomas Mohaupt, M.S., CHP