Re: Update (12/01): Status of patients from the JCO Criticality

At 01:25 AM 12/03/1999 -0600, you wrote:

>Mr. A: 9.06 Sv
---
>12/01/99 17:00
> Continuing with sedative and ventilation.  WBC count in small blood
vessels is
>7,700/mm^3.  Since there is no urine, on dialysis machine continuously.
Slight
>improvement in liver function.  Radiation damage to intestine and skin
>continues. Continuing problem with large volume of fluid seeping out from the
>areas of injuries due to radiation burn. Because of this, the patient
requires
>massive amount of fluid and blood products transfusion daily.  Bleeding from
>digestive tract decreased and the severity decreased (176 gm in bowel, 435 gm
>through tube through nostril, from midnight to 4:00 PM).
>Treatment Direction:  Continue massive volume of transfusion and continue
with
>dialysis. Continue ventilation management, infection prevention, nutrition
>management, continued transfusion management, and detailed total body
>management.
>Others:  With medication, blood pressure, pulse and other vital signs remain
>relatively stable, but the condition continue to require vigilance.

Every time I read one of these reports about "Mr. A", I ask myself the same
question. Are the doctors doing this poor soul a favor by intervening to
this phenomenal extent to keep him alive? Is there any reasonable
likelihood that he can survive and lead any semblance of an enjoyable,
relatively pain-free, and productive life?

Occasionally I find myself thinking that perhaps he is a "guinea pig" for
these doctors. It seems as if almost all of the major organ systems of "Mr.
A" have been substantially impacted -- perhaps permanently -- by the
radiation. It is indeed remarkable what the doctors have done to keep him
going.. But are they doing more for medical science, radiation biology,
etc., or for the victim of this tragedy?

I would like nothing better than for "Mr. A" to fully recover. But after
reading his depressing medical reports, I fear that his demise is more or
less a foregone conclusion.

Rick Mannix
Health Physicist
Laser Safety Officer