From: Case, Diane (OD) [mailto:DCase@exchange.nih.gov]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 1999 12:44 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: BWCHPS Info.

Dear All,

Don't forget about the Baltimore/Washington Chapter of the Health Physics
Society  (BWCHPS) dinner meeting with Mr. Ray Johnson, President of the
Health
Physics Society, on December 9th, at USUHS.  Anyone can join us, you do not
need
to be a member of the BWCHPS (of course we will try to coherce you to become
member at that time).

5:30-7 pm, 	Social hour with cash bar.
7-8 pm 	Dinner:	Buffet:  Chicken Breast with Basil Dijonaise, Seafood
Newburg,
Potatoes Au Gratin, Long Grain and Wild Rice, Green Beans, Tortoloni with
Olive
Oil Parsley, Fruit Basket, Tossed Green Salad, Assorted Dressings with
Vegetable
Tray, Hot Rolls and Coffee, and your choice of Dessert such as Parfait,
Chocolate Mouse, Chocolate Sundae, Ice Cream, Fruit Pie, and Cream Pie.
8-9-ish	Presentation: Ray Johnson

Cost:				$18.75 per person.
Location: 			USUHS Dinner Hall
Reservations:		Please email  or call 202-518-7158 and leave your
name
(and telephone number if you want a return call).  Reservation cut-off is at
3
pm, 				December 9th.

Directions:  From 495, take the Bethesda exit. Go South on Rockville
Pike/Wisconsin Avenue/355 (whatever you want to call it).  About a mile down
the
Pike you will see NIH on your right, and then Navy Hospital on your left.
Take
a left onto South Wood Rd (directly across from the NIH/Medical Center
Metro).
Bear right onto Palmer road and drive straight until you can no longer do so
(you will pass AFRRI on left). Take a left and park in the Garage.  Exit
garage,
cross the road and enter at "Security."  Show your ID, and take elevator up
one
floor.

Also:   We are planning to have Capt. William Holcomb, PHS, as our speaker
on
January 20th, 2000.  Capt. Holcolmb is an avid collector of antique
radioactive
items, which he will show us.  Some of the applications of certain items
were
certainly unique!  Capt. Holcomb is also very knowledgeable about other
nuclear
themes surrounding toys, fantasy, cartoons, etc.  This is definitely a must
see
lecture!!!!

And on February 24th, 2000, we have scheduled Ron Goans, M.D. from the
Radiation
Emergency Assistance Center (React/TS) at Oak Ridge TN.
Dr. Goans is an expert in Radiation Emergency Assistance, and he has been
personally involved in most of the radiation accidents we hear about, and
others
that we don't;  Dr. Goans' cases have been many and varied;  accidents which
involve  iridium sources, fluoroscopy, nuclear power plants, irradiation
sterilization facilities, Cesium sources from abandoned irradiators, and as
an
advisor in the relocation of uranium from parts of the world to the U.S..
In
addition to his vast and interesting experiences, he is a nice,
down-to-earth
guy who gives excellent presentations.  Dr. Goans has spent several years in
Washington, and at the NIH, and he is looking forward to revisiting the
area.
This will be a joint meeting of the BWCHPS and the ANS.  Everyone is invited
attend, and I highly recommend doing so.

I will provide more details on the meetings in the near future.

Happy Holidays.

Diane L. Case, Ph.D., CHP
President-Elect, BWCHPS
Email:   dcase@nih.gov