                       TRTR <trtr@wpi.edu>

From: Paul Benneche, Univ. of Virginia Reactor

The above listed individuals contacted the University of Virginia Reactor
Facility in response to a note that I posted to a couple newsgroups
announcing the availability of about 1,000 surplus lead bricks and a
similar number of concrete blocks.  Most of those that responded were
interested in the lead, but a few were interested in the concrete.

A decision has been reached to provide these at "no cost" to a facility
meeting the following requirements / considerations.

(1) Due to tax status and state requirements these materials can only be
gifted to either educational or federal government organizations.  If none
of these types of organizations are interested then the bricks will need
to be sold as surplus.

(2) If the majority of either the bricks and/or the blocks can all be
accepted by a single facility, this option will receive the highest
priority.  If no single organization wants them all, UVA may consider
splitting them into smaller lots.

(3) Arrangements will need to be made by the organization receiving the
bricks and/or blocks, to pick them up at the University of Virginia.

(4) The group that can come and pick them up the earliest may receive
higher consideration.

(5) The organization picking up the bricks and/or blocks will need to
provide a technician(s) to assist UVA personnel with surveying the bricks
to check for any radioactive contamination before they are loaded on the
truck for shipment.  Most of the bricks have thus far had a limited
survey, but a more thorough survey will be required before the bricks can
be released.  No contamination is anticipated, but a few contaminated
bricks have been found in the past.

(6) The organization receiving any or all of these materials will need to
agree to and sign the following statement.

	I, __________ agree to receive the following items from the
   University if Virginia Reactor Facility.  I accept this material as is
   with no guarantee of suitability for the purpose it is received.  I
   accept these items without any guarantee of working condition.  I
   understand that the Reactor Facility is being decommissioned,
   therefore, these items are non-returnable and will become the property
   of __________ upon receipt.

If you desire to obtain any of this material please respond by early
January 2000 with the following information.

(1) What number of bricks and/or blocks you wish to obtain?
(2) When can you pick them up?
(3) State that you agree to provide the necessary technician(s) to assist
    in the surveying the bricks and/or blocks.
(4) State that you agree to the conditions stated above.

Looking forward to your responses.

Paul Benneche, Supervisor
Univ. Of Va. Reactor Facility
peb@virginia.edu (e-mail)
804-982-5440 (phone), 804-982-5473 (fax)