Re: Lead bricks and concrete blocks

Tom,

FYI - How a university RR program gets rid of old shielding materials at
D&D.  By the way - Paul Benneche attended our first (Aug 98) D&D TC.

LB

At 01:21 PM 12/8/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>December 8, 1999
>
>Memo to: List
>
>Chester Edwards, U. of Mo., Columbia (EdwardsCB@missouri.edu)
>Bill Vernetson, U. of Fl., (vernetson@server1.nuceng.ufl.edu)
>Robert Bean, Purdue U., (bean@purdue.edu)
>Karl Ott, @ Rhode Island, (ott@purdue.edu)
>Terry Tehan, (with K. Ott), (ttehan@gso.uri.edu)
>Wesley Dunn, International Isotopes, (Wdunn@intiso.com)
>Robert Farrell, Atomics International, (atomic@ledite.com)
>John LaRegina, Best Medical, (john@best-medical.com)
>
>Additional addressees: Radsafe <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
>                        TRTR <trtr@wpi.edu>
>
>From: Paul Benneche, Univ. of Virginia Reactor
>
>The above listed individuals contacted the University of Virginia Reactor
>Facility in response to a note that I posted to a couple newsgroups
>announcing the availability of about 1,000 surplus lead bricks and a
>similar number of concrete blocks.  Most of those that responded were
>interested in the lead, but a few were interested in the concrete.
>
>A decision has been reached to provide these at "no cost" to a facility
>meeting the following requirements / considerations.
>
>(1) Due to tax status and state requirements these materials can only be
>gifted to either educational or federal government organizations.  If none
>of these types of organizations are interested then the bricks will need
>to be sold as surplus.
>
>(2) If the majority of either the bricks and/or the blocks can all be
>accepted by a single facility, this option will receive the highest
>priority.  If no single organization wants them all, UVA may consider
>splitting them into smaller lots.
>
>(3) Arrangements will need to be made by the organization receiving the
>bricks and/or blocks, to pick them up at the University of Virginia.
>
>(4) The group that can come and pick them up the earliest may receive
>higher consideration.
>
>(5) The organization picking up the bricks and/or blocks will need to
>provide a technician(s) to assist UVA personnel with surveying the bricks
>to check for any radioactive contamination before they are loaded on the
>truck for shipment.  Most of the bricks have thus far had a limited
>survey, but a more thorough survey will be required before the bricks can
>be released.  No contamination is anticipated, but a few contaminated
>bricks have been found in the past.
>
>(6) The organization receiving any or all of these materials will need to
>agree to and sign the following statement.
>
>         I, __________ agree to receive the following items from the
>    University if Virginia Reactor Facility.  I accept this material as is
>    with no guarantee of suitability for the purpose it is received.  I
>    accept these items without any guarantee of working condition.  I
>    understand that the Reactor Facility is being decommissioned,
>    therefore, these items are non-returnable and will become the property
>    of __________ upon receipt.

> [...]

Lawrence E. Boing
Argonne National Laboratory
Decommissioning Program
9700 South Cass Avenue,  Bldg 362 / TD Division
Argonne, IL  60439-4815

Phone       630.252.6729
Fax           630.252.1885
e-mail:       lboing@anl.gov