Re: LNT theories

Stan,
Why do you say in your example that the pulmonary fibrosis is caused by
radon rather than by the dust particles?

Stan also raises an important issue regarding radon oncogenesis. Do certain
pulmonary diseases give a patient a predisposition for increasing the
incidence of lung cancer? I haven't read any studies where this concept was
investigated. I can easily see where pulmonary fibrosis or emphysema may
inhibit lung cancer because tissue destruction impairs any kind of tissue
(healthy or cancerous) from regenerating; however pneumonia, bronchitis, or
chest colds (perhaps even the forementioned diseases) may be statistically
associated with lung cancer. This concept is not without precedent. The
Oxford Study on Childhood Cancer observed an odds ratio of 2 for children
who suffered pneumonia within two years of developing cancer and 20 for
children with a history of mongolism (Stewart, 1973). Childhood cancer has
also been strongly associated with maternal illnesses (Gilman, 1989). I
would be very surprised if no association existed between pulmonary disease
and lung cancer.

Tom