Re: Iodine Seed Implants

Chris,

NRC issued a warning or info bulletin something like 10 years ago on I-125
seeds leaking in patients.  This seemed to be, but I may not be accurate,
associated with applicator damage.  Following that, I have monitored seed
patient urine a la bioassay style and put into place a written procedure
for such.  There have been no findings.  however, there was one case where
someone told a seed patient that the seeds had leaked and they would have
to "cut out his thyroid".  He was extremely upset, but i was able to show
him my results, along with a external thyroid count with the patient
holding the meter, and all became well.  I recommend the patient urinalysis
since it is quick and easy, and if positive, a quick thyroid block could do
some good.

Bob

At 05:16 PM 12/15/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of actual studies of patients who'd received permanent
>implants, to document that the seeds did not leak? I mean, either in vivo
>thyroid monitoring, or urine collection, within the first few half-lives. I
>would have thought that some such work would have been a part of the
>original Phase 1 IDE, but maybe the FDA thought that it was sufficient to
>demonstrate their extracorporeal integrity, and presume that the same would
>obtain post-implantation. Also, maybe some early users thought it the
>better part of valor, or worth a decent paper, to do the studies.
>
>Thanks, again, in advance.
>
>cja
>
>P.S. Does anyone know where I might find one or more HP10/11/15C
>calculators, hopefully in at least VG condition? Of course, please respond
>to me directly, not to the list. Thanks much.

Bob Wilson, Director
Radiation Safety Office
University of Kentucky
102 Animal Pathology