Re: Ancient radiation levels were higher than today's levels

Taking this to be true, the higher sensitivity amongst later "derived", more
complex organisms seems to imply a cost in maintaining the better
protection/repair mechanisms.  If there is such a cost, then why would the less
complex organisms not have divested themselves of the unnecessary and costly
mechanisms now that environmental radiation levels are lower?

Brian R. Gaulke, CHP
Head, Dosimetry Section
Radiation Protection Bureau
Health Canada