Re: US FTC Decides Not to Ban Nuclear Ads, New York Times Says

In a message dated 12/22/1999 7:33:53 AM Central Standard Time,
sandyfl@earthlink.net writes:

<< Subj:     US FTC Decides Not to Ban Nuclear Ads, New York Times Says

 US FTC Decides Not to Ban Nuclear Ads, New York Times Says

Washington, Dec. 22 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Federal Trade Commission ruled
that while industry advertisements made unsubstantiated claims about the
benefits of nuclear power, the ads shouldn't be banned because they are
political speech protected under the First Amendment, the New York Times
reported.  The FTC agreed with the Better Business Bureau and the Natural
Resources Defense Council that the ads by the Nuclear Energy Institute --
published in the New Republic, the Atlantic Monthly, the New York Times, Roll
Call and the Hill -- made exaggerated claims about the environmental
advantages of nuclear power, the paper said.

<<Subj:  FW: Missouri Coalition for the Environment
Date:   12/21/1999 1:29:55 PM Central Standard Time
From:   Jeffrey.Vollmer@MKG.COM (Vollmer, Jeffrey S)
To: GlennACarlson@aol.com ('GlennACarlson@aol.com')

[text deleted]  I find it hard to believe that an organization that distorts
facts and information is credible at all.  So even if they are on the right
side of some issues since I know they lie and distort information, I can't
trust them to be truthful on other issues.

Jeffrey S. Vollmer[, RSO
Mallinckrodt Inc.
Jeffrey.Vollmer@Mkg.com]