LNT and Epidemiology

     I'm not an expert in epidemiology (can barely spell it) nor
     molecular radiation biology, but the discussions of whether
     recent epidemiological studies of populations exposed to higher
     background radiation levels does not appear to take into account
     the possibility that molecular damage from radiation may be
     different from metabolic radiation damage and below the
     significance level of epidemiological studies.  I heard an
     excellent presentation by Dr. John Ward of UC San Diego at the
     recent BEIR VII meeting in which he described the types of DNA
     damage from both radiation induced free radicals and from
     metabolically induced free radicals.  Ward contends that at least
     some significant percentage of the radiation induced damage is
     physically different from the spontaneous damage (and he has the
     molecular biology studies to support this).  These multiply
     damaged sites are not repaired as easily or effectively as simple
     damage locations for which routine cellular repair mechanisms
     operate.

     This information tends to say that radiation induced cancers may
     not be statistically detectable in populations exposed to higher
     backgrounds or to worker populations who are occupationally
     exposed, but that there still is some risk.  The question for
     radiation safety professionals is to optimize the delivery of
     that risk and ensure that the worker (and the public) is
     protected from excessive risk.  For myself, I believe that risks
     even under LNT assumptions at 1E-4 or less are trivial when
     compared to other factors in our society.

     On another related note, the comment is occasionally made that we
     are spending far too many millions of tax dollars cleaning up
     sites that present no significant risk to the public.  While it
     is true that we are spending a fortune that could be used
     elsewhere, we should keep in mind that there are sometimes good
     reasons to clean places up.  For example, I heard a presentation
     a few years ago in which some important oceanographic research
     relied on the detection of extraordinarily low levels of trace
     radioactive species (tritium and C-14) in ocean water.  If we
     don't keep our environment as clean as reasonably achieveable
     (huh?) then we may render such research impossible.

     My opinions only,
     Eric Goldin, CHP
     <goldinem@songs.sce.com>